Langley Year 4
Mrs Kerry Barnes
Supported by Mrs Becci Scott,
Mrs Jane Hayward - Sports coach
Term Curriculum Letter - to follow
Ongoing home-learning information and organisational details.
- Rugby Tuesday am and Real PE on Wednesday pm in Term 2. All children will need a gum shield for rugby.
- Reading with an adult at least 3 times a week and ideally daily independent reading. Please can an adult sign the child’s reading record card on a weekly basis in order for dojo points to be awarded.
- Spellings will be set weekly. We will build up to 15 spellings per week and this is linked to the spelling rule taught in class.
- Maths Challenges set on Mathletics/Purple Mash to support number facts/ ‘times table’ knowledge
- Occasional topic or English related home-learning tasks will be communicated in child’s Home-Learning journal as well as being recorded on class website page.
Current Home - Learning Tasks:
Spellings have been sent home in the Home Learning Journals this week. They consist of five spellings which include prefixes which we will learn next week. Your child will have been given spellings from one tier on the tiered vocabulary format:
Tier 1 - Mostly familiar words which use spelling rules already taught.
Tier 2 - Mostly familiar words which use spelling rules which may need some teaching.
Tier 3 - Mostly unfamiliar / specialist words which will need some teaching.
Personal spelling lists have also been put into the Home Learning Journal. We will use these words for handwriting practice. Please practise these words at various intervals ready for a retest in January.
Two activities have been allocated on Mathletics. These need to be completed by next Thursday. Should the children wish to complete further activities, all points will count towards weekly certificates which will be awarded for a weekly total of 1000 points or more.
'It's Electric' Project
The children have been asked to design an electrical invention which could reduce the impact of humans on the environment. They need to produce a design sheet and prototype ready for our Great Exhibition in December Due date: Monday 9th December.
What we have been learning:
Maths: place value for 4-digit numbers.
Guided Reading: We are developing our Explain, Retrieve, Infer, Choose skills based on the novel 'The Eye of the Wolf'.
English: information texts, dictionary skills, skimming, scanning and making notes.
Science: carrying out a fair test linked to sound.